There’s a building which sits atop the large Broken Hill mullock heap that we could see from most places in town so we took the short trip up to check it out. It is called the Line of Lode Miners Memorial (maplink).
The Memorial is an icon for Broken Hill and the mining industry. It is also a symbolic and spiritual representation of the human tragedy of more than 800 deaths since mining commenced in Broken Hill in 1883. The Line of Lode is the ore body that bisects the town.
The actual memorial building is the rusted looking structure who internal panels list the names of miners who have lost their lives working in the local mines. These are represented by a red rose next to the miners names.